Description: We are seeking a highly motivated post-doctoral fellow to play a lead role in developing machine learning and natural language processing algorithms to inform precision public health communication based on large-scale social data from multiple media platforms in India, sub-Saharan Africa, and the United States. We are interested in developing algorithms to 1) identify and monitor misinformation that impedes health behaviors (e.g. vaccine uptake) and 2) facilitate the rapid development and testing of appropriate messages backed by tested theories (e.g. inoculation messaging). This work will be done as part of an interdisciplinary team spanning computer science, behavioral economics, and psychology at the University of Pennsylvania.
Eligibility: An ideal candidate has:
- A Ph.D. degree or equivalent
- Strong background in natural language processing and machine learning
- Motivation to advance data science methods for public health in the global south
- Strong research skills with prior publications
Strong programming skills, experience in working with multilingual data, and experience mentoring students are a plus.
To apply, please send the following to Dr. Sharath Guntuku (email@example.com) under the subject ‘Postdoc Position Application - Data Science for Public Health ’
- Your current CV
- A 1 to 2-page research statement including your preferred start date
- Links/PDFs of two representative publications
- Two or more references that we can contact for a letter
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled and will be reviewed by an interdisciplinary team: